Vics lose in East of Scotland cup

Luncarty 4

Brechin Vics 3

Brechin Vics travelled to Perthshire for their East of Scotland cup tie and found themselves a goal down after one minute.

A cross from the right found the Luncarty striker and he slammed the ball past Vic’s ‘keeper, Robbie.

Vics gradually settled into the game and they started to dominate possession.

Dunn had a shot from 25 yards but it sailed wide of the target and the same player had another effort minutes later, this time saved by the ‘keeper after good link play involving Fyfe.

It was all Vics at this point and on 17 minutes a Buggins shot from 20 yards was deflected wide for a corner.

Vics fell further behind when Luncarty hit them on the break and a cross from the left was squeezed in at the back post.

They continued to have most of the play and a neat one-two involving Smith and McWilliam saw the latter’s shot saved by the ‘keeper.

Fyfe came even closer on 35 minutes but his free kick from 25 yards was saved.

Vics pulled a goal back on 40 minutes, when great individual play from Fyfe saw him beat four players before picking out McWilliam who scored from close range.

Half-time: Luncarty, 2; Brechin Vics, 1.

Vics started the second-half quickly and a Smith shot from 18 yards was just wide of the target.

The second-half was much like the first, with Vics having most of the possession but unable to create clear cut chances.

They went 3-1 down on 62 minutes when a quick break by Luncarty resulted in a chance for the striker whose first effort was blocked by Robbie but the ‘keeper could do nothing to stop the follow up shot.

Vics dug deep and reduced the leeway on 73 minutes when Fyfe scored direct from a free kick from 25 yards.

They pushed for the equaliser but were caught out again on 83 minutes with a similar goal to the third.

Vics, to their credit, continued to drive forward and scored a third on 85 minutes when a Gourlay strike from 25 yards took a deflection and ended up in the back of the net.

Robbie produced a brilliant save on 88 minutes diving to his right to touch a shot from 18 yards round the post.

Buggins had an attempt on 89 minutes but the keeper managed to get his finger tips on the ball to send it wide for a corner.

Team: Robbie, Gourlay, C. Eaton, Crowe, Cairney, Dunn, Smith, Buggins, Fyfe, McWilliam, Robertson. Subs: Clews, Duff, Longmuir.

Vics had the majority of possession and played some neat football but their inability to defend Luncarty’s breakaways cost them dearly.

It’s back to the training ground to shore up the defence in time for the visit to high flying Dundee North End on Saturday, January 19. Kick off is at 1.45 p.m.