Vics net nine to secure win

Vics squad was stretched to the limit on Saturday with Cooper, Laing, Ross, Young and Myles all missing due to injury.

Vics have secured Lewis Dunn on loan from Montrose FC and he took up a position on the bench along with a trialist.

The match past a late pitch inspection and it was Vics who dominated from the kick off. Gourlay was making great runs down the right producing good crosses into the box but without any takers. C Eaton had an effort but his free kick from 25 yards was easily saved. It was Coupar who shocked Vics when striker Harieck chipped over Robbie from 20 yards.

This stung Vics into more action and they equalised on 21 minutes and it was a free kick from 22 yards from Barker that brought them level. Vics should have took the lead two minutes later when a Gourlay cross was met by Buggins but he could not find the target from 10 yards. Gourlay was again in the thick of the action and brought out a good save from the keeper with a strike from 25 yards.

Vics took the lead on the half hour mark when Cairney converted a penalty after Buggins was brought down after he had rounded the keeper and was about to put the ball into the empty net. Vics made it three on the stroke of half time. Good inter play involving Gourlay, Buggins and Barker presented Easton with a chance at the back post and he scored easily from six yards.

Half-time: Coupar Angus 1, Brechin Vics 3.

Vics continued where they left off and immediately both Gauld and Duff had efforts saved by the keeper. Vics made it four on 57 minutes after C Eaton had played in Duff who slotted calmly past the advancing keeper.

The pressure was relentless from Vics and S Eaton had a free kick saved by the keeper. Vics scored again on 65 minutes when a Gauld cross from the right found Duff who’s shot on goal was saved by the keeper but Fotheringham reacted quickest to smash the ball into the net from close range.

Two minutes later it was six when a Fotheringham cross found Barker who headed to Buggins and from six yards he smashed an unstoppable shot into the back of the net. Vics continued to get the ball down and play football and the momentum continued when on 75 minutes Barker played in Fyfe who from 12 yards was able to place the ball past the advancing Coupar keeper. Two minutes later it was roles reversal when good wing play by Fyfe presented Barker with a chance and he coolly scored from eight yards.

Barker was able to complete his hat-trick 10 minutes from time with this goal being created by debutant Dunn who progressed in the middle of the park before threading a great pass to him and he did the rest from 16 yards.

Team: Robbie, Whitworth, C Eaton, Gauld, Cairney, Fotheringham, Gourlay, Easton, Barker, Buggins, Duff. Substitutes: S Eaton, Dunn, Fyfe and Trialist.

A spokesperson for Vics said: “It was a pleasing victory for Vics and it was good that we were able to score a number of goals.”

Vics will come up against much stronger opposition on Saturday (August 25) in their final League Cup match when the undefeated Forfar West End are the visitors. Kick off is 2.30pm.