Video: City dominate final league home match

Brechin City could have considered themselves unlucky not to have won Tuesday’s match against Albion Rovers by a bigger margin than they did, writes Amanda Taylor.

Ray McKinnon’s side, who were watched by Alloa manager Paul Hartley, dominated across the 90 minutes, and never looked likely to surrender their lead.

Brechin started the match brightly, with Andy Jackson having an attempt in the opening minutes of the match, but Graeme Shepherd in the Albion goal was able to make an easy save.

Just moments later, Jackson had another chance after Derek Carcary delivered in a fine cross, but Jackson’s diving header was just over the bar.

Carcary himself had a chance in the 11th minute, with Shepherd fumbling his shot, but the ‘keeper was quick to gather the loose ball.

Brechin continued to press the Albion defence in the opening 20 minutes, and were awarded with a goal in the 18th minute. Gary Fusco had an effort from the edge of the box and although Shepherd saved his effort, he wasn’t able to hold the ball and it fell to Carcary who netted for his 12th goal of the season.

City almost doubled their lead three minuets later, when a corner kick from Carcary found Gerry McLauchlan unmarked in the box. Unfortunately, the centre back was unable to add to his goal tally, with Shepherd tipping the ball over the bar.

Albion managed to work themselves back in to the game slightly, with David Crawford seeing his long range effort go just wide of the post.

In the 32nd minute, Albion were sure they had pulled level, when Kevin Green bundled the ball over the line, but referee Crawford Allan rightly blew for a handball and cautioned Green.

Carcary had a fantastic opportunity to increase City’s lead in the 36th minute after he robbed Green of the ball and found himself with just Shepherd to beat. Unfortunately, his shot was agonisingly wide of the right hand post.

Three minutes later, Carcary set up Alan Trouten, whose effort managed to hit the underside of the cross bar and bounce back out in to play, with Albion’s defence scrambling away the danger.

Albion Rovers once more thought they had pulled a goal back, but this time Ryan Tiffoney was flagged for offside.

Half-time: Brechin City, 1; Albion Rovers, 1.

City continued to dominate possession in the second half, with several attacks ending up with shots drifting wide of the target.

Albion Rovers had the ball in the net for the third time in the 59th minute, but again Tiffoney had drifted in to an offside position.

City doubled their lead in the 68th minute, when a Johnny Stewart pass found Carcary out on the right wing. Carcary battled in to the box and fired a right footed shot across the goal that left Shepherd no chance of saving it.

Ryan Stewart, who replaced Ryan Ferguson in the 69th minute, came close to making an incredible start to the action. Just two minute after coming on, Stewart had a right footed effort on goal which was just wide of the post.

Carcary seemed keen to net himself a hat-trick, and in the 76th minute, he came close to netting again, but his right footed effort was just wide of the left hand post.

Ewan Moyes almost netted a third for City in the 90th minute, after a Carcary corner kick found the centre back in the six yard box, but the cross bar denied Moyes.

Team: Michael Andrews, Alex Pursehouse, Johnny Brown, Gerry McLauchlan, Ewan Moyes, Gary Fusco, Alan Trouten, Johnny Stewart, Andy Jackson (Beau Longridge 86), Derek Carcary and Ryan Ferguson (Ryan Stewart 69). Subs: Aaron Murdoch, Garry Brady and Ben Tough.