Win for Brechin in year’s first derby

editorial image

Forfar Athletic 1

Brechin City 4

Brechin City fans were treated to their second derby win in a week when they left Station Park with all three points, leapfrogging their rivals into third place in the process, writes Amanda Taylor.

The match started a bit patchy, with both sides having attempts that were well wide of the mark.

Forfar had a good spell of pressure, with James Craigen and Christopher Templeman forcing four saves from City ‘keeper Michael Andrews in the space of five minutes.

City hit back, with a Jonathan Brown free kick, but Jack Hamilton denied the left back, who was making his first start after returning from injury.

Derek Carcary also forced a save from Hamilton in the 20th minute, as the City striker continued his good run of form under Ray McKinnon.

Gary Fusco probably had City’s best chance of the first half, but Iain Campbell was on hand the clear the danger for Forfar.

Templeman had a chance to put Forfar in the lead five minutes before the end of the first half, when Campbell fired the ball into the penalty box from the corner, but Templeman’s header was wide of the target.

Half-time: Forfar Athletic 0, Brechin City 0.

City started brightly in the second half, with David McKenna firing home a spectacular right footed effort to give Brechin the lead in the 47th minute.

Andy Jackson had a lobbed effort on goal in the 52nd minute, but his effort just drifted over the bar.

Carcary had an effort five minutes later, but James Bishop was on hand to clear, but two minutes later, Forfar were unable to keep City out.

Garry Brady played in Jonathan Brown, and the full-back kept up his decent scoring form as he slotted home his fourth goal of the season, putting City 2-0 up.

A stumble in the Forfar defence, allowed Carcary to pounce on a pass from Brown. He duly fired home and City were three goals to the good.

Forfar tried to pull themselves back in to the match, but Templeman twice failed to hit the target in the 71st and 72nd minutes.

Martyn Fotheringham had a chance two minutes later and although his effort was on target, Andrews was more than a match for the attempt.

Forfar pulled a goal back in the 80th minute, through Gavin Swankie. The striker latched on to a Dale Hilson pass, and struck the ball past Andrews.

However, any hopes for a late comeback where rapidly put to bed when City regained their three goal cushion just one minute later.

Forfar were caught napping, and Jackson set up Scott Dalziel for his first competitive goal for City.

Manager Ray McKinnon said: “This was a great result and we really deserved it.”

“We worked so hard, In the second half it looked like we could score every time we broke. We were so clinical today.”