Good draw pointing to city revival?

editorial image

A battling performance by Brechin City saw them deservedly share the spoils with Peterhead after a thoroughly entertaining match at Glebe Park.

The 1-1 final score-line was probably the correct result, and although the Blue Toon had perhaps the better of the clear-cut chances,

City’s grit and determination had to be admired and they were certainly well worth their point at the end of the day.

The visitors’ opening goal came after just six minutes and there was certainly an element of good fortune about it. Leighton McIntosh picked up the ball at the edge of the box and fired in a shot which Graeme Smith in the City goal appeared to have covered but unfortunately for him, the ball took a slight deflection off City defender Darren McCormack before it entered the net, leaving the keeper wrong-footed.

City though didn’t let their heads go down and they battled back and took the game to their opponents.

David Weatherston and Andy Jackson combined really well to allow the former a run to the bye-line where he sent a good cross into the box which was unfortunately just too far beyond Isaac Layne who was waiting to pounce.

A couple of minutes before the break, Jackson looked set to score with only a last-gasp tackle from Blue Toon full-back Nathan Blockley preventing a certain goal.

City had a huge let-off five minutes into the second-half when Rory McAllister was sent tumbling in the box. It certainly looked like a penalty, but to the consternation of the player and the travelling support referee Gavin Duncan waved play on.

Play then swung from end to end as the visitors looked to consolidate their advantage with a second goal with City really pressuring the Peterhead defence in an effort to grab the equaliser and their efforts paid off ten minutes from time when substitute Robert Thomson who had replaced midfielder Weatherston just four minutes earlier was on hand to blast an unstoppable shot past Graeme Smith in the Blue Toon goal after superb play from Isaac Layne had created the opening.

Namesake Graeme in the City goal then brought off a couple of outstanding saves from Jordon Brown and Kevin Dzierzawski to ensure that his side went away with a deserved share of the points.

The result means that although City remain in bottom place in the Ladbrokes League One table, the points deficit against second-bottom Stranraer who lost 3-1 at home to Airdrie, has been reduced to just two points.

With the Blues due at Glebe Park this coming Saturday, City will have the opportunity to move above them in the table if they can win the match.