Pirates face Rams

Pictured are members of the Brechin Pirates at their recent match, at home, against Blairgowrie Rams.

Pictured are members of the Brechin Pirates at their recent match, at home, against Blairgowrie Rams.

Have your say

Brechin Pirates were at home at Guthrie Park to Blairgowrie (the Rams) on Sunday, March 4.

The Micros, with a couple of new team members, again took to the pitch eager to play and full of energy.

Once more they had great forward play, enthusiastic runs and effective tag taking. Playing in their usual fun and frantic fashion they gave the Rams a great match.

The P4/5s agreed between the coaches that the teams would pull resources and ended up two teams of mixed players.

Both sides were evenly balanced and tries were abundant.

In the second half there was a lengthy run by Arun Murray to score a good try.

Squad members were Arun Murray, Nicholas Leslie-Melville, Rachel Johnstone, Guy O’Connell and Alix Morland.

The first P6/7 game began on time. The Rams first took control and then an early lead relying on a fast runner that the Pirates struggled to contain.

By the second half the Pirates were warming to their game; countering the Rams aggressive and impressive forwards with Cammy leading the charge and Lee and Jack in support with Josh following up to take the off-load keeping the ball live and moving it out to the wings where Kyle, ever probing the Ram’s defence began running in tries.

Cain constantly caused the Rams no end of problems with his speed and agility and Henry showed equal flair taking the ball through and at the Rams’ line.

In the end the first game ended in an eight-four defeat though the play looked very even.

In the second game the Pirates stepped up a gear and were soon running in tries but dogged Rams’ defence and a couple of unfortunate mistakes allowed the Rams’ runner to once again step around the Pirate line to score.

Undaunted the Pirates came back and put tries over with Cammy and Henry, and Callum meanwhile tracking back and forth plugging holes in defence and looking for space in attack was rewarded with a breakthrough and a try.

By now the boys were really getting into their stride and some huge tackles were going in much to their credit.

In the end tries were scored by almost all of the squad and the game ended with Rams just up four-three.

For a spot of fun and just to prove that they still had energy to spare the coaches mixed the teams up for a third game.

The boys responded and got stuck in for a lark and were soon longing for some hot food and a cold drink.

Squad - Cain Anderson, Kyle Healey, Henry O’Connell, Callum Pert, Lee Robertson, Josh Sharpe, Callum Whyte and Jack Wood.

While the younger age groups were playing at home the Brechin S1/2 squad were invited to join up with the Arbroath and Dundee Wasps S1/2 rugby squads to form a Harlequins team to play at the Strathmore tournament.

The first game against a strong Carnoustie side did not go that well as the Harlequin players were still trying to jell as a team.

However, the next game against the Dundee Eagles saw their first try scored and the players starting to come together.

The next two games against Strathmore and Montrose saw some great spells of play by the Harlequins with the players breaking tackles, putting in some outstanding tackling and giving some great supporting play.

A few excellent tries were scored and all in all the players are to be congratulated on their play and conduct both on and off the pitch, considering this was the first time they had played together as a team.

Thanks is given to the organiser of the tournament at Strathmore for the hospitality and food following the matches.