Pars’ red card in 13 minutes ends contest

Andy Trouten scores Brechin City's first goal against Dunfermline on Saturday.'Derek Watt Photography
Andy Trouten scores Brechin City's first goal against Dunfermline on Saturday.'Derek Watt Photography

Brechin City moved to within one point of the Scottish Championship play-offs after a comprehensive and deserved 3-0 victory over Dunfermline at Glebe Park.

City now just need a point from their remaining two matches (Stenhousemuir away and Stranraer at home) to book their place in the play-offs.

There was early action at both goalmouths in the opening minutes with Jamie Masson flighting in a cross just over the bar within the first 60 seconds and the Pars responding with an Alex Whittle shot from the edge of the box going just wide of the target.

There was drama after 13 minutes when the visitors were reduced to 10 men. City were awarded a free-kick just in the Dunfermline half, and as Ewan McNeil lined up to take it Alan Trouten inexplicably received an elbow in the back from Pars’ defender Ross Milllen. The incident took place in full view of the referee and stand side linesman and Mr McKendrick had no hesitation in showing Millen the red card.

City grabbed the opener in the 24th minute with a great move. McNeil picked up the ball wide on the right and passed inside to Masson who immediately played in Andy Jackson who sent a superb ball through to TROUTEN who had time and space to pick his spot in the net.

The visitors barely had time to reorganise before they found themselves 2-0 down with Masson again in the thick of the action. Jamie picked up a throw-in from McNeil and pushed forward before dragging the ball across the penalty area and firing in a shot which Ryan Scully in the Dunfermline goal got a hand to but couldn’t hold and TROUTEN was right on the spot to blast the ball into the net.

City wrapped up the points with their third and decisive goal. Barr picked up the ball wide on the left and did really well to push forward to the bye-line before cutting the ball back into the box for JACKSON who took a couple of touches before firing the ball into the roof of the net.

Despite being three goals down the Pars continued to push forward and El Bakhtaoui was unlucky to see his shot on the turn hit the base of the post.